Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A return to high school

You're never going to believe this one....but I swear, I'm not making it up.

Yesterday, I was transported back to my high school days. No, no, no, I'm not talking big hair and bad fashions (did I really wear those MC Hammer pants!?!? And what was UP with pinning and cuffing our jeans?!?) I mean passing notes. Or rather, discovering notes that had been passed that were written about you.

That's right.

I was at a union meeting last night where a state attorney was doing a presentation. People were getting fired up because this attorney, frankly, sucked at public speaking and misspoke a few times. Get the vibe? Tense, angry, complaining. As soon as I walk in, I'm cornered by the tensest, angriest man of the bunch and asked if I managed to contact a person about a website for our union. I said we had been playing phone tag, but knew immediately that the answer I gave wasn't going to fly. So I step into the hallway, call the woman one more time, miraculously get a hold of her, communicate everything I need to, agree on next steps and walk back into the meeting to report back to Mr. Angry about my progress. Feeling rather good about myself. He rants for a few minutes about the lawyer that is presenting, rants for a few more minutes about some other minor issue he's going to make a major issue, I smother him with kindness (which is always my tack when faced with people like this. You should try it sometime, it totally throws them off!) And then I finally escape to the meeting. Phew. Off the hook, feeling good.

At the end of the meeting a friend finds a note on the floor that reads "Lisa hasn't contacted the website woman yet. It's been two weeks."

OK, first of all, who writes a note and then leaves it behind to be discovered?!? Secondly, (and perhaps this should have been first) but who passes notes in meetings!?! Everyone knows that all teachers just lean over and talk to one another during meetings. Sheesh. Finally, SERIOUSLY?!?!? Are we 12?
Yeah. So, I had all sorts of clever retaliation schemes in mind....the least harmful was to shoot him an email that said "if you are going to write a note about a person who is volunteering her time to chair a committee, then perhaps you shouldn't leave that note behind to be discovered by that same teacher." My husband suggested I add a box, much like middle schoolers do that reads: "Am I a jerk? Check one box: Yes No" Of course, I took the high road and did nothing. But I couldn't help but feel like I was back in high school all over again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like Russ's idea with the boxes or yes or no. I'd totally forgotten that was a "must" in notes!

Sauntering Soul said...

Too funny! What a jerk that guy is.