Monday, November 26, 2007

An explanation

Wow. I am so sorry about my last post. It was, as I said, a rough day....

Before I got pregnant I had headaches in stages--Stage 1 warranted a combination of drugs and then pushing through to go on about my day. Stage 2 warranted the same combination of drugs along with a steaming hot shower and a cold Coke (or some other caffeinated beverage) and a pause in my day until my headache became more manageable. Stage 3 was the worst--everything came to a screeching halt. I had to take migraine medicine and lay in a dark, completely silent room with a cold cloth covering my eyes. Smells, sounds, movement....all made me nauseous. Yesterday, I had a stage 3 headache most of the day. And, of course, I couldn't take anything for it.

To top it all off, I couldn't keep anything down. I started the morning with two sips of chamomile tea and two bites of toast, and promptly ran for the bathroom. After waiting awhile, I started thinking....just thinking....about eating something else for breakfast. And promptly ran for the bathroom. Next, I waited a few hours then attempted some oatmeal (I don't know why, it seemed appetizing at the time and it's worked for me in the past). No sooner had I stirred the oatmeal--just stirred mind you, not even taken a bite.....then it happened again. Yup, another visit to the bathroom. I'm sure you are wondering how in the world I could have anything left to throw up since I hadn't eaten anything, but somehow, I did.

I then waited for a few hours until my Mom arrived with homemade soup. (Thank God for my Mom!) which I slowly, but with great excitement, ate. I was convinced it would stay down. Her soups always stay down. Thirty minutes later---yup. Another visit to the bathroom. A potato at dinner....didn't work. Soup again at 8:30 when I was ravenous....didn't work either.

At one point, I think it was my sixth time throwing up, I was so frustrated I started yelling at Russ. The poor man wasn't actually doing anything wrong, and I didn't necessarily need him to do anything for me, but I was so frustrated, and so hungry that I just yelled. He became very attentive after that though, which was lovely.

So, that was my day yesterday.....And that is why you didn't get a post yesterday dear bloggers. Today seems to be a tad better. Just my usual morning throwing up so far. Of course, despite the fact that I'm utterly starving, all I've eaten are two pieces of completely plain toast (blech) and three sips of almost flat ginger ale. Diet of champions I tell you.

5 comments:

Kim Tracy Prince said...

omg lisa i am so excited 4 u!!!

Unknown said...

I was going to leave an encouraging comment for yesterday's post but you already updated today.

First, I hope you're feeling a tiny bit better. Second, we've got 4 more days of NaBloPoMo left - if you can type in the midst of your Sunday disaster you can finish. Rock on you blogger, you! Third, at least you were home when all this nastiness was happening. My Mom was telling me the other day she found out she was pregnant with my brother when we were in Italy. (I was five)Imagine getting sick not only in a random hotel room but a random country!
Fourth, again, I hope you're feeling better and at least keeping stuff down...

Anonymous said...

So happy that today was a better day than yesterday.
Love Mom S xoxo

Chrissy said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear that you were so sick... Glad you're on the mend!

Oh, and "spironolactone" is a medication that I'm on for my post-accutane skin! Glamorous, I know... It makes my overly oily, acne-prone skin manageable and bearable! Now you know me a little better... :-)

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of medications you can still take during your pregnancy; including the occasional caffeinated beverage and, I think, Tylenol. Better then nothing. You should ask the OB so maybe you won't have to get past stage 2 again...