Thursday, April 17, 2008

Blessings

Last week was a shitty week.
Sorry for the language (guess my blog isn't G rated anymore!) but no other word will suffice.
I'm not going to rehash it here-first of all because who wants to read about a really horrible week? It will just bring you down. Secondly, because it was rough enough the first time around and frankly, I don't want to relive it. Suffice it to say by Friday morning I was barely holding it together, and, in fact, did actually start crying on the phone to a friend as he tried to direct me to the place where I was to get yet more blood work done and then continued to cry (mortifying!) when I actually arrived at said location. (Luckily the woman blamed it on hormones.....which I'm sure did in fact play a large part!)


But the week is over.....and I came out of it with one clear thought: I am so blessed.

I try to be that person that is always aware of just how lucky she is. But I'll admit that I, like so many others, get caught up in the minutiae of life. There is nothing like a horrible, incomprehensible tragedy to make you realize just how lucky you are....
Let me start with the first, and most exciting blessing in my world right now: our baby. We are seven weeks away from her arrival and she is becoming more and more of a reality. While I am beginning to get a bit more nervous about labor (although my fears seem to center-at the moment- around my water breaking at school and also not being able to find Russ when I actually do go into labor), mostly I find myself so excited at the thought of finally meeting her. I can't wait to stare into her eyes, and smell the smell that is uniquely her and feel her tiny fingers wrap around mine. She truly is a miracle.

My second blessing is my husband. Have I told you lately, dear Internet world, just how amazing he is? When I first met him, I knew, very quickly, that he was The One. I had absolutely no doubts at all that this was the man that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Somewhere along the way he also became my best friend. And then, my soul mate. As we go on this new journey together, preparing for baby, having endless conversations about what she'll be like, discussing how we want to raise her...I just couldn't do it without him and I couldn't imagine doing it with anyone else.

My next blessings are my family. If you know my family at all then you know just how generous, kind, funny, supportive, loving, intelligent, hard working, dedicated and wonderful they are. I am lucky to have TWO families that are all of those things and more. My life is richer for having them in it and I consider myself the luckiest sister, daughter, daughter in law and sister in law.....

There are many more blessings in my life that I could share with you--great friends that support me in all that I do and are always there to listen, a job I love in a district that is amazing, a home that is cozy and perfect for us, an amazing world that is just starting to vine and green and bloom and sprout bringing with it the promises of a new spring....like I said, I am so blessed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As we count our blessings, we are so fortunate to count you as one of our dearest! Thank you for all that you do and all that you are, to us and to everyone who knows you.
Sorry that you had such a shitty week :o(
We love you!
Mom S
ps...(Hi baby girl.....)

Dianna said...

That was a very sweet way to turn a bad week into a beautiful post! Hang in there you soon you will meet your little blessing and all will be well with the world! :) Miss you!

Unknown said...

Dear heavens, I'm here with goosebumps and biting back tears as I listen (read) you talk about your soon to arrive little girl.

Blessings all around...