Friday, August 15, 2008

Wicked good

On Wednesday my sister, Mom and I made the trek to NYC to see Wicked. This was a tradition we started a few years back with my Dad initially--no, not seeing random musicals, but giving the gift of time. Time with us, that is. We started it with a Father's Day canoe trip down a river in MA, and then the year after did a kayaking trip on the Sound and have since gone on quite a few adventures together. Then we started it with my Mom with trips to the city to see the ballet, or massages--more girly things.


Anywho, the day ended up being far longer than I had originally thought. My longest away from Aliza, but her daddy handled it like a champ. Of course, it helped that she slept for over three hours. Why in the world does she sleep for over three hours for him, and nothing close to that for me is beyond me, but they had a wonderful day together, and for that I am glad.


We got an early train and headed into the city for a light lunch, before catching the 2:00 show. If you've read the book then you know that the premise is the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West--before she became the Wicked Witch of the West and chased after poor, innocent Dorothy and Toto. I was struck by a few things while in the theatre-- the first being that there are people out there who think it is appropriate to wear shorts, t-shirts and flip flops to see a show. Call me old-fashioned but I believe that you get dressed up to go to the theatre. Church too, for that matter, but that's a post for a different day. The second is that I really really really love being at a musical, or any show really. I have my parents to thank for that. They started bringing us to shows at a young age, exposing us to the arts not only through dance lessons and music lessons, but by bringing us to see shows too. I forgot how much I love the theatre experience. Everything about it feels a little bit special and a little bit magical.

Of course, the best part of the day was spending time with my Mom and sister. As we get older, these moments, these memories, are more and more special and more and more cherished.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a priceless gift to share times like those? Memories to share over and over with each other. What a fabulous day to remember together; the sights , the songs, the joy and yes the aching... Making you a wonderful memory of that special day in NYC-with your sister and Mom- the "summer that Aliza came".
Congrat to you three for making the day happen :o)(and Daddy)

Kelli said...

I loved Wicked when I saw it a few years back.

I completely agree with your "dress up" opinion - it irks me to no end to see people sloppily dressed (I actually have a whole draft post in my queue about that very topic.) When I went to the Boston Symphony Orchestra a few weeks ago it was the same thing...men in cut off shorts and t-shirts for heavens sakes. Ugh!

Glad you had fun through.
"I wanna be popular..." :-)