Monday, January 07, 2008

Christmas marathon

OK, OK, I know that Christmas has become a memory for many of you and the only thought you may have of it at this late date is when you drive by the sad Christmas trees abandoned by the side of the road (seriously, is there anything more sad than a Christmas tree after Christmas?) but still...I haven't written about Christmas so here it is. My marathon post about my marathon Christmas.....

Christmas in our family is always more of a marathon than a sprint. The festivities begin long before Christmas arrives and end long after Christmas is actually over. As a child this was the best thing EVER because it meant lots of presents and a holiday of gift giving that lasted forever. As a hormonal teenager I was occasionally bored at the various family events but went to them anyways, recognizing the value of tradition and family. As an adult I cherish these events because they are the hallmarks of my childhood and because in a crazy world they are unchanged and comforting. Now that we're expecting our first child I approached every event with a new thought: "at this time next year we'll have a 7 month old!" or "I can't wait until my baby gets to do this!" Pretty cool.

Anyway...a week before Christmas two events happened: my father's side of the family had their annual Christmas party and we hosted our first (hopefully annual) cookie exchange. My father's family Christmas party is the same every year...it's in the same VFW hall, with the same recycled decorations....the food is pot luck and usually consists of sandwiches, the occasional hot food item and yes, the dorito salad makes an appearance. We turn the lights off every year and stand in a big circle singing Christmas carols (that's my favorite part) and then, just as we are kissing and wishing all a Merry Christmas Santa arrives and starts handing out presents. Everyone from birth to 18 sits on Santa's lap to get a present (it's rather embarassing when you are 15 and older, but when you turn 18--well, it's like a graduation). Then we open our presents from family members. Everyone gets a name so everyone gets a present...the kids get multiple presents. Eventually people bundle up and head out leaving behind a few poor souls to clean up and take down the decorations to be saved for another year.

Our cookie exchange was low key and lovely. We didn't invite too many people, partly because we weren't organized enough to do so and partly because we liked the idea of keeping it small and simple. I'd say it was just about perfect. Everyone left with a snazzy tin filled with delicious cookies and there were even left overs to be shared with neighbors and friends. We definitely want to do it again next year.....

Christmas Eve was also a new event, that may also become an annual one. We hosted our parents for Christmas Eve dinner: also known as the Seven Fishes Dinner in my Italian family. Not being a fish lover this was always a meal I hated and I usually ate bread throughout much of this meal (no meat allowed after all!). My sister even pointed out that it was funny that we hosted this dinner since I hate fish so much (unless it's sushi of course, I know I'm weird!) But somehow, hosting it this year.....well, it was different. I still don't like fish, but I was brave and tried everything. But what made it different was that this meal always took place at Nonnie's house. Every year my whole family: aunts, uncles and cousins would gather at Nonnie's for this meal and sit around the table for HOURS just eating and eating and eating and the food never stopped coming. At least it felt that way. Hosting this meal for my parents and my in laws made me feel like my Nonnie was smiling down on me. Seeing as how it was our first Christmas without her it was a really great feeling....

OK, I know I'm not even up to Christmas yet but I also know that dinner is ready, and the baby wants to eat. I'll finish my marathon post about my marathon Christmas another day. Soon. Promise.

No comments: