Friday, January 02, 2009

New Year

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Gave birth. I’d say that’s enough, wouldn’t you?

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
So I’m one of those people that doesn’t exactly make resolutions….not to say I’m perfect, far from it, but I kind of feel I’m always working on the same things in my life every day: remembering the small moments, treasuring family, being a good person, making wise choices, trying to be the best I can be at everything I do…. Those are always my life goals and will continue to be.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My dear friend Diana gave birth to a handsome little man. A cousin also welcomed a son and I have a few friends with buns in the oven, due to arrive in ’09.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully.

5. What countries did you visit?
Does Saint Lucia count?

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
I honestly can’t think of a single thing. My life is full to the brim of blessings and there is nothing I can think of that I lacked in ’08….

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
May 17th. It is the day I welcomed my baby girl into this world.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Again, giving birth, and doing so naturally. As far as I’m concerned, I can do anything after that. And, for the record, it doesn’t matter that it was a shorter labor. Folks I didn’t even have a freakin’ Advil in my system when I gave birth. If that doesn’t make me Super Woman than I don’t know what does.
I’d say my other greatest achievement is going back to school for the first time in eight years. And choosing a program that will ultimately land me in a principal position. The thought of leaving the classroom scares me, but I am proud of myself for starting on that journey....

9. What was your biggest failure?
Staying home—I mean, briefly being a stay at home mom and not the professional educator I’ve been for the last nine years….I don’t want to say I failed, but, it’s the first time in my life that I felt like an absolute failure. If I am being completely honest, I will admit that I spiraled into a depression the worse I’ve ever felt in my life. I was angry and upset and depressed and incredibly guilt ridden. It was really hard for me to admit that I couldn’t do it, and to then deal with the guilt I felt over that. I wondered constantly what was wrong with me, and sometimes I still do wonder that….Many of those feelings are still there, inside of me today, but I am working through them slowly as I try to be the mom I want to be and the teacher I used to be.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, again, thankfully. Unless you want to count throwing up for nine months straight. But I guess that wasn’t so much an illness as a symptom.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Ummm….wow. I can’t think of anything. Most of our money this year went to Aliza- getting ready for her arrival, taking care of her etc. Oh wait! I forgot! My new car! I LOVE my Sante Fe.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
As always, my family. I wouldn’t be who I am today….I wouldn’t be where I am today, if not for them.
And my husband…..I didn’t think it was possible to love him more than I did, but with the arrival of Aliza he has become the Dad I always imagined he could be.
And, of course, my friends. I am not the best at keeping in touch, but they are there for me always and I am blessed to have amazing, funny, intelligent, caring, supportive friends.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
My colleagues—the team that I work with that continues to be downright rude and hurtful to me. (Who has a party and invites the other two teammates but not me? Seriously?) And the one friend- or the one colleague I thought was my friend- that turned out to be one more person unable or unwilling to be a true friend.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Happily- to Aliza. From trying to get pregnant (pre natal vitamins, and ovulation predictor sticks add up!) to finding out I was pregnant (several pregnancy tests later) to being pregnant (hello maternity clothes) to preparing for her arrival (furniture, diapers, clothes, toys and books, oh my!).
And to my new car. Have I mentioned I love it!?!?

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
No surprise here- Aliza! And not just her, but the joy she has brought to so many. It is amazing how a baby breathes new life, new hope and new happiness into everyone around.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
I can’t answer this question…I honestly have no idea.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
a) happier
b) Considerably thinner! (It helps that I’m not pregnant!!)
c) Hmmmm…..richer emotionally, poorer financially I guess.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Stood up for myself.
Worked out more regularly.
Said no when I was overextended and exhausted.
Called friends just to say Hi.
Slept.
Read.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
I can’t think of anything I wish I’d done less of….I guess, going along with above, saying yes to things.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas with Russ and Aliza in the morning, my mom, dad, sister, brother, brother in law, Grams and Joe and two beautiful nieces in the afternoon and then with my mother in law, father in law, sister in law and brother in law at night.21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Sure did, her name is Aliza!

22. How many one night stands?
Dear lord! None!

23. What was your favorite TV program?
Same old favorites—Dancing with the Stars, The Office, Grey’s Anatomy, So You Think You Can Dance.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Hate is such a strong word….I don’t think there is anyone I truly hate.

25. What was the best book you read?
Wow. Another question I don’t think I can answer. I don’t think I can pick just one book…..

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Rather than a group, I’m going to say XM Radio. Seriously it is the coolest thing ever and I am in love with it. It is helping me to discover new music, which I feel I haven’t done in a long while.

27. What did you want and get?
My daughter. It was thirteen long months of hoping and wishing and praying before we learned she was coming….

28. What did you want and not get?
Respect from my teammates. I think I need to give that one up, it’s been several years now and it just isn’t happening.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Geez. These questions are tough! Again, I don’t think I can pick one. Partly because one doesn’t really spring to mind, partly because we don’t really watch movies and partly because the movies we do watch are often of the Iron Man, The Hulk, Indiana Jones variety. Not that those movies aren’t fun, but they aren’t necessarily the kind of films that leave me with a lasting memory.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned (gasp) 32 this past year and spent the day just the way I wanted- eating a delicious meal of a variety of mini burgers hand crafted by my hubby surrounded by my family. I also got a few fantastic new purses, what is better than that!?!

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
There is nothing more satisfying then becoming a mom. Truly.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
I think that I discovered accessories in a very big way in 2008. Lia Sophia jewelry to be exact, although any jewelry really. I also continue to be in love with fun shoes, and have recently decided I need to broaden my range to include non-pointy toe shoes.
Other than that I’d say that I’m pretty basic- no flashy prints or exotic things for me.

33. What kept you sane?
When I was most stressed, most overwhelmed, most exhausted, I would think about Aliza’s arrival. I would dream of walks around the neighborhood with her, lazy days spent playing and all the joys I knew a new baby would bring. In the midst of any drama at school, she was my one source of contentment and peace, even before her arrival. Now that she is here, she continues to be all that and more.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Wow. I feel like maybe I’m not paying attention to things because I can’t think of anyone for this one either. I’m going to think about this one and get back to it.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
I think that the election this year was the most amazing thing I’ve witnessed in a long time. No matter how people voted, everyone I know, everyone I talked to, was involved and interested. It was amazing.

36. Who did you miss?
Hmmm…..I think I have to say some of my high school friends that live far away. We got together spontaneously recently and seeing them again, after so long apart, was so special. It reminded me of how, no matter the distance or the time or the life events, when we are together it is easy and comfortable and fun. It is amazing to have people in your life that you can truly be yourself with, and to know that they love you for it.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
I made a new friend at work and I’d say that this new friend has been my rock lately. Hands down, I’m lucky to have found this new person!

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
I learned that becoming a mom truly is the most amazing blessing there is in this world. I am not nearly eloquent enough to describe how it feels…how every time I even think of Aliza my heart swells and I feel like I might burst. How hearing her laugh makes everything right in the world and watching her grow and explore her world is more fascinating than any movie, TV show or book. She is everything and more.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Oh dear lord! Another hard question!

6 comments:

Kelli said...

You are such a beautiful person Li and I'm honored to know you.

Congratulations on a great year, you Momma, you!

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
You have taught me so so much this year and for THAT I am grateful. You are so honest and you tell it like it really is. You have also helped enrich my life by bringing my beautiful niece into the world. What a gift! You are an incredible Mom and an amazing teacher both in the classroom and out. You are a role model to me in so many ways and I am thankful that my oh so smart brother chose YOU to marry. My resolution in 2009 is to see more of you three.
Love you,
Beth

Dianna said...

Happy New Year to an amazing person, Mom and friend! Lets get together soon!

JaxMom said...

Happy New Year, Lisa! Hang in there at work, and keep thriving at home. You have a beautiful girl and wonderful family.....thanks for sharing.

Jules said...

Happy New Year! Let's see if I can join the land of the consistent blogger of the next couple of months! I'm impressed with your list here, lots of happy memories and smiles must come from writing out these items.

Enjoy these early days of 2009!

Tina said...

Regarding #9: You were a new mom. I went though the same thing, especially with Juliette. Try not to beat yourself over the head about it. You have to become a new person when you give birth to your first child. Embracing that new identity is HARD. Also, staying at home for only a few months is not the same as staying home for long term, because you don't take or have the time to make the friends, find the activities, and get settled into the role. If you decided to be a SAHM, you'd be great at it.

Regarding your birthday... those were mini burgers???